Please share your suggestions, your comments, ask a question, or pass along your tips for improving our website. Or, if you would like to talk with one of our Travel Designers, please fill out the form below.


Tipping is your decision and how much you tip is completely up to you, although, we have put together some recommendations we know travelers appreciate.


Here is what we use as our own guideline, giving lesser or greater amounts – or no tip at all – based on the added value in service, we feel we have received.

  • Airport transfer guide: $2.00 per person.
  • Local day tour guides: $2.00 – $5.00 per person, per day.
  • Full-time driver throughout your itinerary: $1.00 – $5.00 person per day.
  • Full-time guide accompanying the tour: $2.00 – $10.00 per person, per day.


All restaurant bills in Costa Rica add a 10% gratuity service charge. So, your restaurant tip is covered.


If our services include your transfer from the airport to the hotel, and the driver in charge will help with your bags.


When you reserve the services of tour guides and drivers, you know how important they are for having a better journey. So it is up to you to decide how much to tip.

What are the entry requirements?

A return flight ticket is needed when entering Costa Rica. The immigration officer will ask for it upon your arrival. It is advisable to make a photocopy or take a picture of your passport with the entry stamp to carry at all times during your stay.

  • Your country of origin determines the amount of days available to stay in Costa Rica as a tourist.
  • In some cases, the Immigration official may request you show economic solvency for your stay in the country.
  • Even with a 90-day tourist visa, the immigration official determines the duration of your stay as allowed by your passport.
  • Visitors to Costa Rica must have a valid passport as well as proof of their intent to exit the country before their visa or entry stamp expires, usually within 90 days.

All non-resident travelers must possess a return ticket or a ticket as proof of when they intend to exit the country, commonly referred to as an outbound exit or onward ticket. An onward ticket is required of non-residents who are:

  • Traveling on a one-way ticket
  • Entering the country with a return ticket dated more than 90 days after arrival
  • Flying into Costa Rica and flying out of another country

By law, an onward ticket includes any of the following on approved, commercial transport:

  • A pre-purchased bus ticket out of the country
  • A pre-purchased flight out of the country
  • Proof of passage on a cruise ship

Obligation to Declare when entering or leaving Costa Rica:

When entering or leaving a port in Costa Rica, if you carry an amount equal to or greater than the US $ 10,000 or its equivalent in other currencies, cash or securities, you must request and complete the form provided for this purpose at the migration post and present it to the Customs Authority for verification; The declaration must be made before finalizing the corresponding immigration procedures. The omission of what is established by Costa Rican law (No. 8204, article 35) will result in the immediate loss of money.

What is the climate like?

In the Central Valley, where the main centers of population are located, the average temperature is 22°C (72°F) and the region enjoys a spring-like climate year-round.

  • In the coastal areas, the temperature is much hotter and humid, while the Pacific Northwest can be extremely hot and dry.
  • The rainy season starts in May and finishes in November, although there are distinct regional variations. June and July are the raniest months, particularly on the Caribbean side, but the season can run from May until December.
  • The ‘warm’ dry season is December to May, though temperature differences between summer and winter are slight.
  • March is the height of the dry season, and the humidity is lower at this time, making this a popular time to come visit.
What is the currency in Costa Rica?
  • Costa Rican Colón (CRC; symbol ₡) = 100 céntimos.
  • Notes are in denominations of ₡20,000, 10,000, 5,000, 2,000 and 1,000. Coins are in denominations of ₡500, 100, 50, 25, 20, 10 and 5.
  • US dollars are also widely accepted.
What payment methods are accepted?

Banking hours: State banks Mon-Fri 09h00-15h00. Private banks Mon-Fri 08h00-16h00.

Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa credit cards are all accepted; American Express slightly less so. Many banks will only process MasterCard for cash credits. Cash may be the only form of payment in smaller towns and rural areas but many places will take US dollars, giving change in colónes.

ATMs are common throughout the cities and small towns. They will usually accept foreign cards but in some regions only Visa cards are accepted. Occasionally, paying with credit cards may not be possible for technical reasons. Bringing a good supply of US dollars in cash is advised, as many things such as entrance fees to national parks or meals at restaurants, can be paid for with US dollars.

Although travellers can avoid additional exchange rate charges by taking traveller’s cheques in US dollars, fewer and fewer businesses in Costa Rica are willing to accept them, and it is better to use the ATM.

What to wear?

Lightweight cotton and linen clothing is recommended for most of the year with warmer clothes for cooler evenings. Waterproofing is necessary during the rainy season. Loose-fitting clothing is best. Wear neutral browns and greens for birding and wildlife viewing. Always bring mosquito repellent and sunblock for both day and night.

What type of electric sockets are needed?

Electric sockets in the Republic of Costa Rica are Type B (NEMA 5-15) and/or Type A (NEMA 1-15). If your appliance’s plug doesn’t match the shape of these sockets, you will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in. Travel plug adapters simply change the shape of your appliance’s plug to match whatever type of socket you need to plug into. If it’s crucial to be able to plug in no matter what, bring an adapter for all three types.

If your appliance isn’t compatible with 120 volts, a voltage converter will be necessary.

What vaccines do I need before entering Costa Rica?

Starting on July 30, 2007, all travelers coming from the following countries must possess a yellow fever vaccination certificate before entry into Costa Rica will be allowed: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and the Republic of Guyana.

Search form