< Back to blog
12 Things to Know About Rainy Season in Costa Rica
hace 6 meses
by Shannon Farley
The rainy season is returning to Costa Rica like a welcome oasis after a long, dry season. Dust is gone and Costa Rica’s landscape is becoming a jungle again with lush green vegetation and carpets of blooming flowers. The air is fragrant and humid.
Located within the tropic zone between 8˚ and 11˚ north of the equator, Costa Rica in general has two major seasons – “summer,” or the dry season from December to April, and rainy season from May to November. Mornings during rainy season are almost always sunny, with showers in the afternoons or evenings, which thankfully cool the temperature. And there may be many days when it does not rain at all. The caveat to this is that the Caribbean Coast is rainy most of the year and has its little summer dry spell from about mid-September to mid-November – when the rest of the country is swamped.
Experienced Costa Rica travelers know that rainy season means good deals, lower rates in hotels, and fewer crowds. Besides, if you are going to visit a rainforest or a cloud forest, you should expect rain and clouds some of the time!
12 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT RAINY SEASON IN COSTA RICA:
- Rainy season paints the landscape lush, verdant and colorful – a real jungle!
- Mornings are almost always hot and sunny. Rain usually falls for a few hours in the afternoon or at night. Perfect for a romantic vacation.
- Rain helps bring the temperature down.
- Sea turtles come to nest on both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts during this period, making it “turtle season”.
- Remember to carry an umbrella when you go out for the day or in the afternoon. Invest in one of those huge golf umbrellas while you are here; you will understand why.
- Plan your day to do all activities – tours, sightseeing, errands, shopping – in the morning and leave the afternoon for indoor pastimes like museum visits, visiting with friends, reading, emails, naps, etc.
- You may not want to get up early on your vacation but think again. You want to do all tours in the morning during the rainy season when it is dry and sunny and pleasant. The earlier in the morning, the cooler the temperature and the more wildlife you see. Hiking or ziplining through a rainforest in a torrential downpour is definitely a memorable experience but is not very comfortable.
- Be sure to rent a 4x4 vehicle in the rainy season, when unpaved roads turn to muddy bogs.
- Rain fills the rivers making it the best time for whitewater rafting.
- Discover the two-week “mini-summer” that happens in July.
- Skip off to the Caribbean Coast in October for Costa Rica Caribbean Summer.
- You can find better values in the rainy season on vacation packages, hotels, tours, and transport.
If you are thinking about a Costa Rica vacation, discover Costa Rica’s “secret” travel season this time of year. Horizontes Nature Tours is the travel agency in Costa Rica to design your Costa Rica holiday. Costa Rica travel experts for 31 years, Horizontes specializes in Costa Rica nature holidays, Costa Rica family trips, and Costa Rica beach vacations.
< All packages
Explore all our feature experiences
in Costa Rica